Local Information

Welcome Letter – A welcome letter explaining activities that are held in the village, useful contact details and any other useful information is available for printing to pass on to any new residents of the village. Click here to open letter for printing.

Household Rubbish Collection and Recycling

General Household Rubbish – The Blue Bag collection for household rubbish is on a Wednesday in Temple Sowerby. In weeks with a Public Holiday, the collection day will alter. Collection day amendments are printed on the blue bags and advertised in the Herald. Kerbside Recycling – For information on the recycling box, bags and garden waste bin, as well as the collection days click here.
For more information on recycling visit in Eden visit www.eden.gov.uk/household-rubbish-and-recycling. There is also recycling, eg cardboard, at the front of Temple Sowerby School yard which benefits the school.
Furniture and White Goods – If in good usable condition items can be collected by Impact Furniture Services or you can give away (or receive) items at Penrith and Eden District Freegle.
Lots of information on reducing waste, reusing and recycling can be found at Recycle for Cumbria.


Temple Sowerby has Fibre Broadband. Households who wish to upgrade to fibre broadband must contact their service provider. The advantages are faster download and upload times, and the ability to have more devices using wifi simultaneously.
A further option is LonsdaleNET which uses fibre optic and wireless technologies to supply high speed broadband. It requires line of sight (i.e. without obstacles such as trees, etc) to a LonsdaleNET mast.

Bus and Train

Bus – The 563 bus service, by Stagecoach, runs Monday to Friday.

Click for 563 timetable

The Fellrunner Bus does not stop in Temple Sowerby but does pass through some nearby villages so it is useful to know of its existence. More information and the timetables can be found here.
The Voluntary Social Car Scheme is intended for those people who have no other means of transport. Volunteers are available to collect you from your home and take you to your chosen destination for a reasonable cost. Click here to find out more.
Rural Wheels provides door-to-door transport for people who do not have, or are unable to access scheduled transport. Rural Wheels uses a ‘Smartcard’ to pay for travel and a central booking system to plan journeys. Passengers need to apply for the Smartcard before they are able to travel. For further information click here. Help support public transport along the Eden valley from Kirkby Stephen to Penrith. Like the Facebook Page and get involved.

Train – The two nearest railway stations are Penrith and Appleby Railway Stations.


The village has a defibrillator which is in a cabinet attached to the front wall of the Victory Hall. If in an emergency the 999 operator feels it is necessary for the defibrillator to be accessed whilst waiting for an ambulance, you would be given the code to the box. Once switched on, the defibrillator will give you instructions on how to proceed. Basic first aid training, CRP and using a defibrillator has been taught by Murton, Hilton and Appleby First Responders in sessions held at the Victory Hall. If you are interested in having a further session of training please contact the Parish Council.


Please be responsible and clean up after your dog (we know the majority of dog owners do in our village). There are litter bins throughout the village, which can be used to dispose of wrapped dog waste. Please use them. Dog fouling which is not picked up by the owner is unpleasant and unsightly for pedestrians, as well as posing the health risk of Toxocariasis which can lead to blindness. For more information on dog related issues, including microchipping, reporting lost and found animals as well as reporting fouling look here.

Fish and Chip Van

Every fortnight the “Chippie Van” is parked on the main road of the village. Details of dates, times, menu and how to order can be found here.

Food Bank

The Church is a collection point for our local Food Bank. If you are able to donate any non-perishable items to help support those in need we would be very grateful. There is a green container behind a fence to the right the Church Porch where your donations can be left. Thank you.


We have a page on local walks. If you need to report an issue with a footpath or consult the Cumbria County Council’s Definitive Map look here.


If you need to report new issues with roads, pavements, street lighting or traffic signals use the Highways Hotline 0300 303 2992, or you can Report a Fault by filling in an online form here. If you use the online reporting system, you can check on the map if the fault has already been reported, as well as report a fault by clicking on the area of the map where the fault is located.

Litter and Fly-tipping

Please remember to put your litter in the bins provided around the village. Fly-tipping, which has occasionally occurred on the outskirts of the village can be reported on telephone 01768 817817 or on the online form here.

Local Council and Representatives

Parish Councillors: See the Parish Council Page on this Website

Click here for Eden District Council

District Councillor: Henry Sawrey-Cookson (Independent Alliance) Tel: 017683 61574 Email: henry.sawrey-cookson@eden.gov.uk

Planning – For information on making a planning application, as well as viewing and commenting on applications look at Eden District Council’s website here.

Click here for Cumbria County Council

County Councillor: David Whipp (Conservative) Tel: 07795 401739 Email: David.Whipp@cumbria.gov.uk

MP: Neil Hudson (Conservative) Website: www.neilhudson.org.uk Tel: 017684 84114 Email: neil.hudson.mp@parliament.uk

Local News

The local newspaper that covers Penrith and the Eden Valley is the Cumberland and Westmorland Herald. It is published weekly on a Saturday. The website for the newspaper is here.

The Temple Sowerby Courier is published about six times a year and is circulated to each household in the village. See the Temple Sowerby Courier page on this website for the latest edition.

Meals on Wheels

Freshly cooked two course meals from the British Gypsum Canteen are delivered by volunteers, all for a reasonable price, on three weekday lunchtimes, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This service is only for people who find it hard to shop for food or prepare meals for themselves. Is this you? Do you know someone who might benefit? For more details about this service and to check eligibility, contact John by email southviewcottage@btinternet.com.

Volunteers who do the deliveries find helping in their own community most rewarding, and John is needing one or two more. If you are interested in being a volunteer with this service, it is usually only one two-hour delivery each month. For more details contact CVS (Cumbria Voluntary Service) 01768 800350. DBS checks are necessary. Mileage is paid.

Post Office

As well as the Post Office and shop in nearby Kirkby Thore a Mobile Post Office visits Temple Sowerby every Tuesday between 11.40am to 12.05pm. It parks in front of the Victory Hall. It also sells some basic provisions. Please try to use this valuable service if you can.


Contact police on 101
For emergency always call 999
Your Police Community Support Officer is: PCSO 5206 Karen Dakin and PCSO 5133 Larmour.
Email: karen.dakin@cumbria.police.uk or joel.larmour@cumbria.police.uk
We are also available between 10:00 and 12:00 in Appleby Tourist Information Centre on the second Wednesday of each month. If you would like to join Cumbria Community Messaging then please contact us or visit: www.cumbriacommunitymessaging.co.uk. It is managed by the Cumbria Neighbourhood Watch Association and offers you and other members of communities across Cumbria the means to receive crime information from Cumbria Police. You can select which information you wish to receive by managing your own settings, and it is completely FREE. Anyone can join, you do not have to be a member of Neighbourhood Watch (NHW), or become a member of NHW to join. Farm Watch, Church Watch and Camping and Caravan Watch are a small example of the schemes that you can register for. You can join as an individual or as a group. If you want to receive information but do not wish to be responsible for a larger group, you are still welcome to make use of this messaging system.


In Temple Sowerby United Utilities provide our water supply and deal with wastewater, for their website click here.

To report an emergency such as no water, poor pressure, sewer flooding or water leaks you can ring 0345 6723 723 or use the online form here. If you have no water or the pressure is low you can check if United Utilities are already aware of it here.